Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Should i paint my cool 50's METAL cabinets with acrylic enamel or something oil based?

i am in the process of stripping old paint and priming the cabinets with oil based....i have conflicting opinions as to what i should finish them off with.....i really like the high high gloss plastic look and feel of acrylic (not to mention less hassle than oil) but then again i want to go with the best paint and durability for the job. These cabinets are 50+ years old and super cool.....answers from anyone experienced or a paint expert please!Should i paint my cool 50's METAL cabinets with acrylic enamel or something oil based?
I'm a Union Painter...I can answer this for ya...You don't have to use oil base paint. It's becoming a thing of the past. Oil base paints tend to yellow in sunlight as well with time. Don't waste all of your hard work and time with oil unless your painting on a canvas or wood.


Sherwin williams has a product called '; All Surface Enamel %26amp; Alkyd '; It has exceptional durability for highly used traffic areas. Have them tint it and pick your sheen.


The material you will need should cost you under $40.00.


I get contractor pricing...so not really 100% sure of your price.Should i paint my cool 50's METAL cabinets with acrylic enamel or something oil based?
They may look at ya like your crazy. lol..most body shops are very busy. I suppose if ya put something cute and sexy on and bashed ya lashes..women can usually get what they want. lol Report Abuse

To be honest with you and if you can, take the cabinets down and take them to an auto painting place. I did this with the metal cabinets in my garage. You can not beat the finish and the shine and you can choose from thousands of colors. They spray them, bake them and if you pay them a little extra would probably wet sand and wheel them. They can even put rust inhibitor on them to keep them looking new for years, not to mention fix any dents or dings. I'm telling you, if the cabinets in my house were metal, I would have had them done too!

No comments:

Post a Comment