Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Can a vegan eat french fries cooled in vegetable oil if that oil is also used to deep fry meat and fish?

My roommate is a vegan. I am not, and I like to eat at a fast food stand that deep fries its hot dogs fish and chicken.





Does potential residue from the hot dog and chickens in the oil render the french fries off limits to a strict vegan?Can a vegan eat french fries cooled in vegetable oil if that oil is also used to deep fry meat and fish?
To a strict vegan yes certainly off limits. I wouldn't feel happy about it myself and I am a vegetarian not a vegan.


But don't they have a separate vat for frying chips?


I would have thought they would but maybe not if it's a very small place.Can a vegan eat french fries cooled in vegetable oil if that oil is also used to deep fry meat and fish?
Many vegans would rather not eat fries cooked in the same oil as meat products. I don't know if I'd call it off-limits, but it's a lot different from shared machinery, where at least a token effort is made to clean the machines.
Strictly, no. But, most vegans wouldn't because they think that is bad
GROSS. I would never do that... but some i guess they could if they wanted to.
I am a former chef and with the oil so hot there is no transfer of ';juices'; or ';flavours'; to contaminate the non meat products, that is like say you can not stir fry a vegan dish in pan the once cooked a steak and was washed and dried before ethe next meal was prepared, ';Yes'; smaller operation may use single fryer for both meat and veg products, but the fast food ones generally have a separate one for both as fries cook longer and at low temp than meat products, plus are they using veg oil, lard is used in some places in the southern US, and my favourite french fries as child up here in Canada, I am from Brantford ON, the home of the telephone and Wayne Gretzky, and they did there's in lard and topped them with cider vinegar and a good dose of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment