Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My 1993 ThunderbirdSC blew its head gasket,it was cool as it had just driven a half mile .aand had the oil cha

my 1993 thunderbird Super charger is in good shape with leather seats,power sunroof,etclittle rust,I understand that this car is becoming a collectors car ,so it is probably worth fixing the blown head gasket.My 1993 ThunderbirdSC blew its head gasket,it was cool as it had just driven a half mile .aand had the oil cha
I had a 89 SC and I used sodium silicate to plug mine, it's really hard to fix because of the aluminum heads, you may have to replace them, that's why I chose the water glass treatment :)





if you let the antifreeze get old, the water will get electrolysis and eat out the headsMy 1993 ThunderbirdSC blew its head gasket,it was cool as it had just driven a half mile .aand had the oil cha
my guess is that the car overheated recently. maybe the temperature gauge doesnt work as with my 92 tbird. the cooling system must be fixed if faulty, and compression checks after gasket is replaced must be done to ensure no cracked block. if head got warped , it may hv to be machined


the fix may be as simple as a new water pump or fan belt, and a new head gasket.
I am sorry about your car. My advice is that you look at the headgasket problem as one that has been slowly getting worse. Like you said, you only drove half a mile so the head gasket was probably deteriorating long before that. If you aren't doing the labor yourself then look into the cost of a used engine. When they pull the cylinder heads on your car they may see more damage, or maybe consider getting rebuilt cylinder heads. If you like the car then don't be afraid to keep it.
It will be another 20 years or so before these become serious collectors items if they ever do. They are still dropping in value at this point.





It is HIGHLY unlikely that you will recoup the cost of the repair if you decide to sell the car, unless you can do the work yourself.
If this vehicle has the 3.8L V-6 it is a common problem to blow the head gasket especially in the engines manufactored between 1988 and 1996, you should check with Ford, there was a TSB pertaining to that problem in certain applications, working at the Ford garage I must have fixed about 40 of them in the last 15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment